Around Christmas time I spent a few days working on a design entry for the POP X festival pavilion design.  This was a great chance to flex some design muscles.  For this journal entry I'm going to focus on my train of thought while laying out a set of drawings that are meant to explain how a concept could be constructed to create an experience.

I spent some time thinking of how to break my submission down into a uniform set of boards that would be reasonable in size and still convey enough information for everyone to get it.  I like to divide things up in threes when I can because its simple and three is an elegant number in my mind.  The most logical way to make this work was to label them Concept, Construction and Experience.  Once I decided on the three labels, picked a cool color scheme, font and made those circle icons to give the submission a little bit of branding.  

Now at this point in designing the boards I've already got a lot of time into the design of the pavilion, so I'm pretty tired but theres a lot of graphic design left to sell the idea.  Fortunately the pavilion design really drives all the graphics and its not so much about spending a ton of time thinking it through as it getting it all on to paper.  If it were a book report, I've read to book and made my opinions, but I still have to write the paper.  

For the concept board I wanted to show a string of ideas and how they build on each other so I went with a clockwise set of comic book like frames.  Now I'm not a graphic designer, so my skills at this are limited.  Over alI think I'm happy with the graphics, the Chinese lanterns and getting them to fade off in the distance took me a few tries, but the trees in the background were already part of the pavilion design.  The rest of the graphics were pretty easy and went fairly fast.  The pencil logo was to give viewers an instantly recognizable image to represent an idea, like a napkin sketch.

 

The construction board was the easiest because I had already made a 3D model of the pavilion so all I had to do was strip back the layers of this thing and label it.  It was also probably the least successful at conveying the information.  Part of the problem was I wasn't able to represent to polycarbonate too accurately.  The hammer logo, is something that I had made in the past, and I knew would represent construction very well, so I borrowed it from a past project.  

For the experience board I knew I needed a couple good renderings one for the day and one for night.  The day one went pretty quick, I built the surrounding walls and borrowed the street scape from another 3D model.  The people were photoshopped in but the trees were part of the model and were rendered.  I should have taken a little more time with the shadows, but I think it was pretty late at this point.  The night scene was a disaster, and I almost gave up on it.  I just couldn't get the pavilions to light up well enough in the rendering engine.  Eventually I got them to light up to a decent amount but it took a lot of photoshop to get them to glow.  The night scene in my opinion is not great but its helpful to convey the idea.  For the last logo in the corner, I really scratched my head a long time to think of how to graphically show experience.  I knew the pavilions were for art so I ended up deciding on a paint brush.  It works, since each logo is a tool of its respective trade.  

 

 

I wrote this journal entry to pull back veil a little bit on how architectural boards are designed and drawn to really give a lot of info yet still be simple.  I used Sketchup to model the pavilion, Maxwell for my renders and Gimp for my photo altering.  Since doing this I've learned a lot more about rendering emitters in Maxwell and if you need help with it, shoot me an email.  There is one little trick that makes it much easier to control the lighting.  If you have any positive or constructive criticism I'm happy to hear it.  

 

-Kreg 

Comment